background

Friday, September 16, 2011

OOBLECK!

September 16, 2011.
I repinned this: http://pinterest.com/pin/145881410/ which takes you to a blog where the blogger has compiled a TON of "art and sensory recipes". One of them, I was happy to find, was for OOBLECK. I first came across the recipe while getting ready for Abraham's Dr. Seuss party and thought it might be fun to make, you know, let the party goers get a little messy. But, then the thought of fourteen 3 to 5 year olds running around with food colored muck on their hands kind of scared me, so I scrapped that idea! (and the party was still a blast without it:) When the party was over and the books came due we returned Dr. Seuss' "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" and another neato book called "Oobleck, slime, & dancing spaghetti: twenty terrific at-home science experiments inspired by favorite children's books" by Jennifer Williams. I swore to myself I'd check both books out again at a later date...three months came and went and I still hadn't done it. Thanks to Pinterest, and my attempt to stay accountable, I have finally done it. I busted out the cornstarch that has been sitting on a shelf in my pantry for years, let the boys mix in water and food coloring in a big glass bowl and VOILA!!! It's so easy and fun I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner...as usual.
1 1/2 cups Corn Starch.
1 Cup Water
A few drops of food coloring. 
While the Oobleck that falls from the sky in the book is green, we decided to do blue. Abey got a little naughty later and added a ton more food coloring and we all walked around for a few days with blue hands. It was funny though because everywhere we went, people would ask why our hands were blue and the boys would tell them about Oobleck:)))
Stir...
At this point it felt like it was vibrating as it dripped from our hands!
Eventually it started to "thicken up" a little, but it took a while of working it to get the right consistency. Next time I'd use more Corn Starch or less water. Another site I found said add water slowly and stop when it's about the consistency of pancake batter.
 We used a funnel and all kinds of playdough tools.
 Levi experimented with drying it out, which really helped get it the right consistency!
 The bestest part of Oobleck is that with pressure it becomes a solid. I squeezed it into a ball in my hand, then as soon as you let go...
It turns back into a liquid!!!
Levi stayed home sick from school today and this really helped liven his spirits. FUN FUN FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment