background

Friday, October 28, 2011

Forked Eyeball Halloween Treats

I pinned these here: http://pinterest.com/pin/173208607/ for easy reference, but originally saw them in my Family Fun Magazine when it was delivered back in 2008. HA. My sister introduced us to Bakerella's cake balls years ago, but what I liked about the Family Fun Mag's idea was that not only was it decorated perfectly for Halloween, but it used time saving pre-made donut holes too . The boys and I made a donut hole version on lollipop sticks for Levi's 5th birthday party and they were a hit, so I decided to use that "TRICK" again. I called Dunken Donuts ahead to see if they would have 50 or so for me to pick up right away or if I'd have to place a special order. The employee told me what flavors were available immediately, but said others could be available in a few hours. I almost died when she said "JELLY FILLED MUNCHKINS" were an option!!! I thought BLOOD GUSHING EYEBALLS couldn't be any more perfect for Halloween!!!
  My lil helpers and supplies.
 We melted the chocolate in the microwave and the boys each did a test donut. The icing was still way too thick, so they had to be eaten...much to the boys delight.
 Meanwhile, I was frantically looking for the recipe online on how to get the icing more fluid...and, of course, I didn't look it up ahead of time. But in my defense, I don't remember having the same problem the first time we did these. Hmmm. The cure was adding some oil.
 Another problem we encountered was the jelly was tainting the icing, leaving pink trails. So, I sent the boys to play while I plugged all the holes with candy melts.
 Then it was back to work. Love the concentration!
I really wanted this would be fun, but my perfectionist personality was causing me to stress out because... heaven forbid...the white frosting was dripping down the black forks. I found myself nagging them to please be more careful, which is no fun for them:(
However, they were total troopers. 
And, as it turned out, they were bored after only doing half...which meant I could finish them more "perfectly." This was not the case though. They continued to drip for me too. I decided to embrace the drip and think of it more as eyeball ooze that would lend to the creepy effect of eating a bloody eyeball. Then I attached green M&M's with the leftover candy melts. I didn't have enough M&M's to finish so I just let them dry, then put them in gallon zip lock bags, making sure they were not touching each other.
 The next day I bought more M & M's (fall colors for the Halloween party snack mix) and am kicking myself that I didn't by regular for the green and maybe some blue, but I'm cheap. Then I started adding the bloody veins. I thought using the pressurized canned frosting would do the trick, but the lines were coming out too thick. Ultimately, I wanted to just draw the lines with edible food coloring pens, but my red one was old and not working. So, I squirted the red icing into a baggie, clipped a tiny hole in the corner and found it to work much better than the can...way more control of the flow!!!
A lil close up.
When they were dry I slid them into individual clear plastic bags that I purchased at ABC Cake Decorating Company and used a twist tie to seal them up.
Then the wolf and I got to pass them out at our Halloween Party. YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment